FIREFIGHTERS are reinforcing the message on candle safety after a fire at a bungalow in Westacott, off Park Lane, Hayes, yesterday (5).

The living area was destroyed and part of the roof damaged. A woman and two children left the building before the brigade arrived.

The blaze is believed to have been accidental and involved candles.

A brigade spokesperson said: "Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire.

“We’d recommend swapping traditional candles for safer flameless LED alternatives, but if you do use real candles, it’s so important to never leave them unattended.

“Always make sure they’re held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface.”

The brigade was called at 5.32pm and the fire was under control by 7.17. Four engines and around 25 crew from Hillingdon, Hayes, Southall and Heathrow attended.