Mystery still surrounds the death of a man in his thirties who appeared unwell and was “restrained” in a Bourne End pub before passing away in hospital later that day.

James Casey, who was from Iver, passed away at the age of 37 in Wycombe General Hospital on September 22, 2019, after taking ill at the Spade Oak pub in Coldmoorholme Lane, Bourne End.

An inquest that will establish the cause of Mr Casey’s death is yet to take place, but at a pre-inquest review held at Buckinghamshire Coroners’ Court today (Thursday) some details surrounding Mr Casey’s unexpected death were discussed.

The court heard from Peter Lownds, a lawyer representing Mr Casey’s family, how Mr Casey had to be “restrained and assisted” while he was at the Spade Oak.

During the hearing, coroner Crispin Butler, told the court how Thames Valley Police had conducted a “very detailed” investigation into Mr Casey’s death, gathering CCTV footage, statements from eyewitnesses and video interview footage.

When Mr Butler outlined how witnesses would be called to give evidence at the inquest, Mr Lownds asked that 16 witnesses, including those who "restrained" Mr Casey at the pub, be called.

Mr Lownds said: “We know Mr Casey ended up on the floor and restraint was deployed upon him.

“The witnesses have not been asked any questions on behalf of the family and the family’s role in this inquest is of particular importance.

“I don’t need to know their identity or see the faces of these witnesses, but that exercise of testing the evidence is fundamental for this inquest.”

Mr Butler agreed it would be helpful if the witnesses gave live evidence, and said he would consider how this will be done ahead of the main inquest, which is expected to last three days. He also insisted that the identities of the witnesses will not be revealed.

He said: “I maintain the view that the identity of the witnesses is not relevant to this inquest.

“It’s the facts of what occurred on that evening on September 22 at the Spade Oak.”

Mr Lownds also informed the court that the family have instructed an audiology expert to listen to the "lengthy" 999 call made by a member of the Spade Oak’s staff on the day of the incident because they believe they can hear Mr Casey’s voice in the background.

READ MORE: Man dies in hospital after turning up at Spade Oak pub in Bourne End 'feeling unwell'

The coroner agreed that this evidence would be useful in the inquest. He said: ”If the family thought they could hear anything said by James, whether it's pertinent to the inquest or just something he said, that’s very relevant.

“Anything that might give an indication of what was going on with James will help.”

Before the end of the hearing, Mr Lownds also requested on behalf of the family that a jury be used at the inquest. Mr Butler told the court that he would consider this request.

The full three-day inquest is scheduled to take place from September 27 to September 29.

For more of the latest court and crime news from around Bucks, be sure to sign up to the FREE weekly Crime & Court Catch Up

And don’t forget to join the NEW Bucks Crime And Court Watch group on Facebook to keep up with breaking crime news and the latest outcomes from courts across the county