High Wycombe vets and pet owners are calling for a crackdown on the sale of fireworks ahead of Bonfire Night after a dog was hit by a car when she was spooked by the noise.

Concerns have been raised that the cancellation of many large-scale events this year may cause a rise in amateur firework displays being put on in gardens and streets.

Every year millions of pets are traumatised by fireworks from such "random displays" and can sometimes have tragic consequences, according to Vets Now, which has a clinic on West Wycombe Road.

A campaign launched on Monday by the specialist animal clinic calls for retailers to stop selling fireworks for private use, with Vets Now saying that 83 per cent of 3,400 people polled support the move.

Penny, a King Charles spaniel-pug cross, was hit by a car after being spooked by the noise of fireworks and running into the road.

"People were letting off fireworks and the noise was just awful. Penny was terrified," said her owner Sandra Rolfe.

"Her jaw was shaking and she was panting heavily. I drew all the curtains and turned up the sound on the TV to try and distract her.

"Then, just as I was letting her out on to the lawn as normal to do a pee, a banger went off what felt very close by and Penny bolted.

"I was beside myself with worry and I was calling and calling on her but she didn't come back."

Ms Rolfe said that she had been setting out to look for Penny when she received a call saying that her dog had been hit by a car a few streets away.

"When I got there poor Penny was in such a state - she'd lost a tooth, she was shaking and she was trailing her hind leg," she said.

Penny was taken to the emergency Vets Now clinic in High Wycombe where emergency vets administered pain relief and treated her injuries.

Head of telehealth at Vets Now, Dave Leicester, said Penny's case was typical of the type Vets Now sees on and around Bonfire Night.

"Fireworks can be hugely distressing for pets, livestock and wildlife, especially when they're let off unexpectedly," he said.

"They are also too noisy and too easily available.

"To reduce the distress caused to pets, we urgently need supermarkets and other retailers to take action and stop selling fireworks for private use.

"We believe fireworks should only ever be used by professional operators in organised displays around traditional dates, such as Bonfire Night."

Penny has since recovered but Ms Rolfe says she is concerned about upcoming Bonfire Night events.

"I don't want to stop anyone's fun - but something needs to be done to restrict firework sales," she said.

"Fireworks are so noisy now - they just seem to get louder and louder - and it's not fair on pets who have such sensitive hearing.

"Aside from organised displays, it shouldn't be possible for people to buy as many fireworks as they like and just run around the streets letting them off without a thought for others."